Lenovo drops Yoga 11 hybrid with Windows RT from online sales
Analysts say Lenovo is joining a number of companies stepping away from Windows RT
IDG News Service - Lenovo has discontinued sales of the Yoga 11 convertible with Windows RT on its website, which analysts said was a sign of PC makers moving away from their commitment to the struggling OS.
A page on Lenovo's website stated the Yoga 11 is no longer being sold through its website, but said consumers "may still buy this product from a Lenovo retailer or reseller."
The Yoga 11 is being sold by a few retailers such as TigerDirect, which is selling the device for $495. The device is not being sold by Best Buy, which is instead selling the Yoga 11S, a hybrid released earlier this year with Windows 8 and an Intel Core processor.
The Yoga 11 hybrid was one of the handful of computers running Microsoft's Windows RT, which is designed for tablets. The Yoga 11's dual functionality allowed it to be laptop, and also a tablet when the screen was folded up.
Lenovo did not immediately respond to requests for comment, but the company is now selling ThinkPad and IdeaPad laptops running Windows 8 and 7. Prices of other Windows RT tablets have also been dropping. Microsoft this week dropped the starting price of Surface RT to $349 from the original $499, while prices of RT tablets from Dell and Asus have also dropped to under $300.
Microsoft released Windows RT for ARM-based devices and Windows 8 for Intel-based devices in October last year. The price drops are an acknowledgement that Windows RT has failed, according to analysts. Some PC makers like Hewlett-Packard have shied away from RT, adopting Android or Windows 8 for their tablets instead.
Lenovo pulling Yoga 11 from its website shows the company's declining commitment to Windows RT, analysts said.
The Yoga 11 being pulled from the website shows Windows RT is not a priority for Lenovo, said Carolina Milanesi, research vice president at Gartner.
"They will serve a need if there is one. But I don't think it is a focus," Milanesi said.
Devices such as the Yoga 11 will be replaced with fully functional Windows 8 tablets, said Jack Gold, principal analyst at J. Gold Associates in an e-mail.
"I think you'll see most vendors of RT tablets move in the same direction as Lenovo. RT tablets have not been selling well at all," Gold said.
Lenovo is now promoting Yoga 11S with Windows 8, and the trick for such tablets and hybrids will be to meet the price points that RT allowed, Gold said.
"New Intel chips should help get the battery/power down so vendors can achieve parity with iPads and other ARM tablets," Gold said.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts